Ew! Bed Bugs!
Bedbugs are insects that live on the blood of animals or humans. Here are some characteristics:
- Small (about the size of an apple seed)
- Brownish (sometimes reddish when swollen)
- Flat Bodies (or rounded after feeding)
They don't fly, but they move quickly over floors, walls, and ceilings. One Female bedbug can lay up to TWELVE eggs PER DAY & ONE HUNDRED FIFTY in a lifetime. Each egg is about the size of a speck of dust. They can survive up to 12 MONTHS without blood.
Although they are a nuisance, they are not thought to transmit diseases.
Where Are They HIDING?
Bedbugs' flat bodies make it possible to fit in tiny spaces (the width of a credit card) and can enter your home through suitcases, bedding, clothes, or furniture. They don't create nests, but live in groups. Most common hiding places are where they gain easy access to bit people at night:
- Box Springs
- Bed Frames
They don't stay contained and scatter through a room, spreading to nearby rooms or apartments. Bedbugs are NOT a sign of uncleanliness as they live solely on blood. They are often found in IMMACULATELY KEPT HOMES, not filthy ones.
Bedbugs seem nocturnal, usually biting at night. They use an elongated beak to withdraw blood from the skin, feeding from 3 to 10 minutes to become engorged & crawl away unnoticed.
Painless at first, these bites turn into itchy welts. Unlike flea bites, bed bug bites don't have red spots in the center.
Bedbug infestations sometimes go undetected because people attribute their itching and welts to mosquitoes. To confirm the infestation, you must find and identify the bugs themselves.
Detecting An Infestation
If you suspect an infestation, remove all of your bedding and check them thoroughly. You may find signs on the mattresses and walls also. Check around the bed, including inside books, telephones, radios, edges of carpet, even in electrical outlets. Check your closet too, as they can attach to clothing. Look for these signs:
- Blood stains on your sheets or pillowcases
- Dark or rusty spots of bedbug excrement
- Bedbug fecal spots
- Tiny egg shells, or shed skins
- An offensive, musty odor from the bugs' scent glands
- Live Bed Bugs (nymphs & adults)
Remember to look over the bottom of your box springs, examine the seams of wood framing, and peel back fabric stapled into the wood frame.
If you find signs of infestation, begin steps to get rid of the bugs immediately! Early detection is very important! If you are uncertain about signs of bedbugs, call us! We will know what to look for.
If you find bed bugs in your mattress, you might want to replace it, but be sure to rid the rest of your home of bedbugs or they will infest your new mattress as well.
It is safest and most effective to hire an experienced pest control professional for bedbug extermination, but here are some things you can do yourself:
- Clean all cloth items in hot water and dry on highest dryer setting
- Place other items that can't be washed in the dryer on high for 30 minutes
- Scrub mattress seams with stiff brush before vacuuming
- Vacuum bed and surrounding area frequently (place the full vacuum bag in a garbage can outdoors immediately)
- Encase mattress and box strings in a tightly woven, zippered cover to encase bedbugs (keep the cover on your mattress for at least a year to ensure the death of all bugs)
- Repair plaster cracks and glue down wallpaper peels
Ridding these pests from your home takes a lot of work! Let us take care of it for you. We offer 2 effective types of cures to Bed Bug Infestations, Heat and Chemical. We guarantee our work! Call us today!
Call Us Today for a Free Estimate
Full Service, Licensed & Insured Pest Control!
Bugs and Bees Pest Control has been built on strong customer-focused values:
- Customer Service
- 110% Committed
- Meet & Exceed Expectations
- Creative "Out of the Box" Thinking
- Long/Short Term Planning
We'll Exceed Your Expectations and Match any competitive offer!
Ants | Roaches | Bed Bugs | Stinging Insects | Crawling Insects | Termites | Carpenter Bugs | Wildlife Trapping
One-time General Pest Control Treatments
One-time General Pest Control Treatments
The Property Types We Serve Have No Limit!
We've served these and more!
- Multi-Family Homes
- Nursing Homes
- Grocery Stores